June 14, 2022
5 easy ways to keep your skin hydrated.
Hydrated skin is smooth, radiant, and evenly toned. Hydration plays an important role in keeping your skin healthy and giving the much coveted glow!
While it is possible to keep your face hydrated, it is not an easy task. You may need to adjust your diet and daily skin care routine to hydrate your face. If your face is already dehydrated, you may want further treatment to replenish moisture and relieve dryness or irritation.
Many of us confuse dehydrated skin with dry skin. However, there is a difference between the two. Dehydrated skin lacks moisture while dry skin can be caused due to underlying skin conditions.
Follow these tips to achieve and maintain hydrated skin:
- Stay Hydrated - about 3 liters of water daily.
- Get enough sleep - 8 to 9 hours.
- Limit showers to 5 to 10 minutes, and use lukewarm water.
- Limit your intake of coffee and alcohol.
- Avoid smoking.
- Protect your skin - use sunscreen.
- Always keep a face mist on hand.
- Make use of water-based skin care products: Hydration is provided through water-based skin care products. While shopping, look for the following moisturizing ingredients:
- Hyaluronic acid has a high water retention capacity. Its ability to bind water aids in the improvement of skin suppleness.
- Glycerin is a well-known moisture-retaining chemical that can increase skin hydration.
- Urea: It aids in the breakdown of stiffened proteins and soothes the skin. It is a natural moisturizer that promotes the hydration of the skin.
- Ceramides: They aid in the improvement of the skin's barrier function. Ceramides help to keep your skin hydrated by reducing water loss.
- Add a Facial Serum or Oil to Your Skincare Routine: Moisturizer protects your skin's outermost layer, acting as a barrier. Facial serums and oils allow nutrients to penetrate beneath the skin's surface, resulting in moisturized, plumped, smooth-looking skin over time. Including a hydrating face serum or facial oil in your routine (after cleaning and toning) can supply your skin with the first layer of hydration.
- Choose a face mask with moisturizing ingredients: Every face mask treats a different skin issue, and certain substances may keep your skin more flexible than others. Look for masks containing hyaluronic acid or ceramides, which can heal dry skin and help it retain moisture.
- Switch to a gentle cleanser: At the end of the day, use a gentle cleaner to protect your barrier while also assisting in the removal of particle waste. If you have extremely dry skin, you may even try not washing your face in the morning (this is totally fine, and you can just splash your face with water before applying your daily lotions and tonics).